Listening Exercise: World Leaders Have Mixed Reactions to Trump Victory
Hello Flyers, today we’re going to review some current events, then I’m going to ask you a few questions about the material to test your knowledge.
World leaders have congratulated Donald Trump on his surprise win in the U.S. Presidential election on Tuesday. Other leaders were a little less warm. Mr. Trump defeated his rival Hillary Clinton to become the USA’s 45th President.
He will take office on January 20, 2017. He will then be 70 years old. This means he will be the oldest person to become President.
In his victory speech, Mr. Trump told Americans: “Working together, we will begin the urgent task of rebuilding our nation and renewing the American dream. [We will] have the strongest economy anywhere in the world. At the same time, we will get along with all other nations willing to get along with us.”
Russia’s president Vladimir Putin was among the first to congratulate Mr. Trump. He said: “We are ready to do our part to return Russian-American relations to a stable path of development.”
Mexican President Pena Nieto said: “Mexico and the United States are friends, partners, and allies and we should keep collaborating.”
France’s President Francois Hollande said the result, “opens a period of uncertainty”.
Germany’s Justice Minister tweeted: “The world won’t end, but things will get crazier.”
Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said: “Hand in hand with Mr. Trump, we will try to work together.”
Here are some questions based on the content above:
1. What did world leaders do after Donald Trump’s election win?
2. How many U.S. Presidents were there before Donald Trump?
3. How old will Donald Trump be when he takes office?
4. What did Mr. Trump say he would renew?
5. What kind of economy does Mr. Trump want to create for America?
6. Who did the article say was one of the first to congratulate Mr. Trump?
7. What did Mexico say the USA and Mexico should keep doing?
8. What kind of period did France’s president say the world was entering?
9. Who said he would work hand in hand with Mr. Trump?
1. World leaders congratulated Donald Trump after his election win.
2. There were 44 U.S. Presidents before Donald Trump.
3. Donald Trump will be 70 years old when he takes office.
4. Mr. Trump said he would renew the American Dream.
5. Trump wants to create a strong economy for America.
6. Vladimir Putin was one of the first to congratulate Trump.
7. Mexico said the USA and Mexico should keep collaborating.
8. France’s president said the world was entering a period of uncertainty.
9. Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he would work hand in hand with Trump.
Did you enjoy this lesson? If so, please give it a like and share it with a friend. There will be another news post from Takeoff English next week!